Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Relationship Status: In a Relationship with Jesus Christ

Today, January 15th, is my first day of spring semester at my glorious HBCU. Over the month break, I yearned to return to the place where I could be challenged spiritually, physically and mentally. The first day back I was greeted with the warm smiles and hugs of my hallmates, friends and family. But I was taken off guard when I was asked, "So which boys are you still talking to?" Lost in words, I managed to stutter out the words "No one." At that moment I felt so convicted and I started to reevaluate the past semester. Had I really been more focused on men (or boys because some of them acted as so) than Christ? My relationship with Jesus was nothing like what I wanted or needed. So if you find yourself chasing after women or men instead of chasing after the Living God here is my advice to you:

1. Remove the women/men you are giving all your time and attention too.
Note: When I say "remove" that does not necessarily mean cut them out of your life all together. It means establish boundaries become friends and nothing more. If that's not possible for you to do that's when you should consider removing them from your life. 

2. Ask God for guidance.
I am so guilty of doing this. I have always been that type of person that hates asking for help or assistance. But I know I cannot do this on my own. Rely on God to help you through your current situation. Just call on His name and He is there. That simple.

3. Surround yourself with people who will hold you accountable.
Again, this totally resinates with me. If you tell me I'm doing something wrong I will either completely ignore you and give you the cold shoulder because I think you're wrong or I will take the criticism and apply it to better myself. 

4. SEEK GOD.
I cannot stress this enough. Seek Him. Seek Him. Seek Him. He is able to fill any void you have in your heart and life. 

And I leave you with this verse:
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment